Raita is very common recipe in Indian culinary. It is eaten as side dish with main course. Raita is a curd based recipe and there are a range of raita dishes like Palak, Bathua, cucumber, Lauki, boondi (Base fried balls), pineapple and many more.
Base for all raita recipe is based on blended curd and some spices. Spices may differ for different regions and communities in India. As i am from North India and in North India, we use roasted cumin seeds, black salt and sea salt as main spice for raita or you can simply use any chaat powder.
Here i am going to detail the recipe for making Palak or Bathua raita.
Ingredients for Palak or Bathua Raita:
- Palak or Bathua leafs 100 gm.
- Curd 250-300 gm
- Green chili 1-2
- Red chili powder 1/2 table spoon
- Cumin Seeds 1 spoon
- Black Salt to taste
- Salt to taste
- 1 table spoon oil
- Wash palak or bathua thoroughly
- Chop palak/Bathua very fine
- Heat oil in frying pan and fry Palak/Pathua for few minutes and sprinkle some salt on it and fry for few more time till all water is dried.
- Keep fried Palak or Bathua aside for cool down or you can put pan in some water to cool down quickly.
- Roast cumin seeds and make powder in mortar.
- Now blend curd with hand blender and add some water if it is very thick.
- Now add fried Palak/Bathua to it.
- Now add powdered roasted cumin seed, black salt chopped green chili and red chili powder to it.
- Mix all ingredients very well.
- Refrigerate it for 1or 1/2 an hour.
Palak/Bathua Raita is ready to serve with any thing as side dish what you want .